Thursday, August 13, 2015

ROAD AMERICA

"The husband" is quite the race car fan......sport cars mainly....sorry Nascar fans....we don't follow them.  I grew up in Wisconsin very close to one of the world's best race tracks....Road America.  I believe I've gone there once a year for nearly 50 years.

So....after driving for hours, and hours, and hours from NC.......in the RAIN....we arrive in Wisconsin, and yes....it's still raining.  So instead of dealing with a total 'wife' revolt had we gone to the race track....we spent the day in my nearby hometown.  
 The historical society had an exhibit celebrating the 60th anniversary of Road America....it's located blocks from where I lived so memories flooded back.  One was of my twin sister, who broke her leg as she tripped coming down the hill from the old water tower....just steps from this location...which was fairly remote in those days. I recall my Mom kept telling her it was a sprain....poor Nancy had to spend the whole night in pain before our parents took her to the ER for Xrays.  YUP....it was broken.....BAD..... 

The exhibit was not extensive, but for fans of Road America, it was interesting.
 Even now....race drivers are generally short and slim.......but their protection is vastly superior to this suit.

I do think that many fans go to the races to see crashes......we don't. We love to see good clean driving competition. (Though I may be reading my Kindle during much of the race). This spin out occurred right in front of where we were standing......no one was hurt...in fact, after watching the TV play back (now that we are at home)....it was totally driver error....a little oops...

For us.....Porsche fans.....the ending was THRILLING.......They placed # 1 & #2.  The #2 car actually had problems with its engine during time trials.....and had a whole new engine put in overnight.  So it had to start at the very end of the pack....very LAST car!!  On the last lap he was in third place and YEAH....ended #2. 

Would I rather be sewing....probably....but a gal has to get along with 'the husband'......grinning....... 

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh, the rain. We've had plenty and more to come here, too. Meshing interests is pretty easy when you're a quilter with "travel projects." We go to horse shows, and I'm able to entertain myself nicely during all the prep time by having books and handwork projects with me. And if we have our car rather than the truck/trailer, I can also go looking for a local quilt shop! The exhibit looks quite interesting and was a prudent decision on the museum's part.

The Idaho Beauty said...

I understand they've made some more improvements at Road America since I was last there. I particularly took note of additions of jumbo screens and thought - yeah, that would be great there. I remember it was always a conundrum deciding which viewing spot would give the most action when what you really want is to be able to see every corner! We always set the VCR to tape the race, knowing there'd be things we'd miss, including commentary.

As for rain and races, this has reminded me of the first race Allen talked me into going to. It was midway through a motorcycle vacation and was held at Brainard. He'd been telling me over and over again that the races went on, rain or shine, and the weather was looking pretty gloomy. It it was cold, it DID rain, we got soaked, we waited around for quite awhile because, you know, race rain or shine, and we were at least 30 minutes from our motel room in a nearby town. They brought out the blowers, I think they even dipped a copter near the track, and finally gave up and cancelled the races for that day. Just too much water (those incredible midwest downpours), and lightning too. It was a miserable ride back to the motel room on our bike (rain or shine, our only mode of transportation) and the husband never lived that one down.

Redemption the next day though, sun out and I totally got pulled in by the action. My love of motorcycle racing has never wained, rain or shine!

Robbie said...

Sounds like it was still fun especially with revisiting old haunts!